Dahi Bhallay is a popular dish of Indian and Pakistani cuisines. It is a tasty, healthy and easy to make snack or appetizer made from white lentils ( also called ‘mash’ daal in hindi/urdu) and moong lentils. It is not so difficult to make and doesn’t require much preparation time.
Listed below are the ingredients required for the dish:
- White lentils ——————-1 cup
- Moong lentils —————– 1 cup
- Red Pepper ——————– As per taste
- Salt———————————As per taste
- Grounded Ajwain———–1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda——————–1 teaspoon
- Chat Masala——————–As per taste
- Tamarind sauce————–As per taste
- Yogurt—————————–250 gram
- Sugar——————————As per taste
- Soak both lentils in water in a cup for 4-5 hours.
- Grind them to make a fine paste.
- Add Ajwain, salt, baking soda and red pepper in the paste. Mix well.
- Take oil in a deep frying pan. Drop the mixture in small balls into the oil once the oil is hot enough.
- In a bowl, beat yogurt with sugar and salt.
- Take out the fried pakoras once they turn crispy golden brown.
- Add fried pakoras into yogurt and leave them for 1-2 hours.
- Serve in a bowl with chat masala and tamarind sauce ( also called imli chatni in urdu/hindi)